Good Son-Day!!!

*Ecclesiastes 4:9, Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.”

You will always find the "Good News" here!

Mid-Summer Antics


Two Are Better Than One: Adventures in Love and Life

My apologies for last week’s omission. I was busy fulfilling my avuncular duties with my niece and nephew, and I enjoyed every minute of it, as you’ll see in today’s video. There's something about being a fun uncle that keeps the knees young and ta Sunday delightful

But today calls for a gear shift. Today I get to focus on the woman who's been the joy of my life for 46 years running,  my bride, Jo.

If you know me, you know my love language shows up dressed for an adventure. I'm a certified, card-carrying thrill-chaser. And hear me clearly: I refuse, *refuse*,  to let Jo go digging through her playlist for B.B. King's "The Thrill Is Gone." Not on my watch. No, ma'am. I want her reaching for Natalie Cole's "This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)", a song that struts, that shines, that sounds exactly like a love that refuses to sit still.

I've been accused, correctly, I might add, of "runnin' the streets." Guilty as charged, your honor, and I'd do it again. Somewhere on the way to our next escapade, Jo will give me The Look, half suspicion, half amusement, and ask, "Okay, Jackson… what are you up to?" And I just smile, because nothing beats watching her face light up the second she figures out where we're headed.

In premarital counseling, I tell every couple the same thing: don't you dare let the dating stop just because the wedding did. Keeping the spark alive isn't about the size of the gesture; it's about the size of the intention. And when you're out there making memories, let your phone capture the moment. Don't let it steal you from it.

I try to live what I preach. Jo is beautiful; she's got fire in her step, and she is fully alive. Our energy matches. We choose joy on purpose. We choose adventure on purpose. We choose each other,  still, again, always, on purpose. And we fully intend to keep having a good time in this wild little mug called life.

*Song of Solomon 8:6–7* says it better than I ever could:

6 Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm. For love is as strong as death, its jealousy as enduring as the grave.  Love flashes like fire, the brightest kind of flame. 7 Many waters cannot quench love, nor can rivers drown it.  If a man tried to buy love with all his wealth, his offer would be utterly scorned.


Forty-six years in, I can testify to every word of that. Love, real love, the kind you build brick by brick and adventure by adventure, doesn't fade. It grows. It surprises you when you least expect it. It flashes like fire, and nothing life throws at it can put it out.

Happy Anniversary, Jo.

Here's to our next adventure; I've already got ideas.

Jo's typical response: "Ah, here it goes!"

Hallelujah! Sing a New Song to GOD. Sing HIS praise in the assembly of godly people. Psalm 149:1.

"Pour It Out (live at the Ryman, Nashville)", 2020, Tasha Cobbs Leonard

This one isn't chasing trends, and it isn't trying to. No flashy production, just a piano, getting out of the way so the lyrics and vocals can breathe.

And that's exactly the point. This is a song for mature worshippers, the kind who've lived enough life to know that praise doesn't need pizazz to be powerful. 

What really carries this performance is the voice behind it. There's a depth of emotion here that you can't fake and can't rush, the kind that only comes from someone who has actually meant every word of worship they're singing. It's a testimony set to melody.

Lyrics are right there in the video.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Bring Out the Best in Me!

Remember Your Training

Raw Soliloquy!