And the Greatest of These

 A Wonderful Son-Day

A Big Slice of American Sweet Potato Pie

And the Greatest of These

I traveled to Guatemala twice with a crew from a Baptist Church based in Eden Prairie. On my first mission trip to Guatemala, I had the honor of connecting with people in the villages and the big city (Panajachel) through exhibition basketball games.  I was the coach of an adult men's basketball team.  We play local teams for fun and spread a little gospel in between games.
  
On my second trip to Guatemala, I built homes during the day and preach at night.  The first village I preached at had roughly 200 in attendance.  While I preached, an interpreter would translate.  I took a few minutes to get into a rhythm, but we flowed.

The subsequent crowds attending the speaking sessions grew with each passing day.  The last speaking session in the big city, Panajachel, had roughly 1,000 listeners. What a thrill! It was a landmark crowd for me. I am kind of an animated guy when I speak and I use a moderate amount of gestures. The listeners were very receptive and engaged. Especially after I encouraged them holler back at me with me their version of amen.  When they heard something they liked I would hear them shout, "los amen!". 

After the last speaking session, my guide, Betty Merrida, came to me and said, "You are Holy Spirit filled, right?".  I smiled back and said yes.  I asked her what clued her in?  Her response was, "your speaking style".  She then added more importantly, "I watched how you treated my people and that's what stood out".

It's no secret, I grew up holy rolling.  The denomination, interdominations, independents. . . spiritual institutions I attended fully supported relying on the Holy Spirit. A sound and advisable life approach.  This included operating in the gifts of the Spirit listed in . . .

1 Corinthians 12:4-11
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work.
Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 
  • To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 
  • to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 
  • to another miraculous powers, 
  • to another prophecy, 
  • to another distinguishing between spirits, 
  • to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and
  • to still another the interpretation of tongues.
11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.

The list above is grand, powerful and mysterious (Christ did say greater things shall you do) and some other time we can do a deeper dive.  Today I want you to focus on the scripture directly related to the passage.  In the next chapter, Paul says something else that must come with the gifts.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 and 13
 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

We must bear fruit of the Spirit to operate in the Spirit.  The fruit of the Spirit is about showing love. Be blessed to know that the Holy Spirit specialty is showing us how to love.  What confirmed Betty's suspicions about me more than anything else is how I treated others.  One of the denominations out there that focuses on how to leverage the fruit of the Spirit is the Church of God.  

The fruit of the Spirit provide a great witness and can change the lives easier than words.  I leave you with this . . .
James 2:14-19
14 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but don’t show it by your actions? Can that kind of faith save anyone? 15 Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, 16 and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do?

17 So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

18 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”

19 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God.[f] Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror. 20 How foolish! Can’t you see that faith without good deeds is useless?

Song of the Week  Hallelujah! Sing a New Song to GOD. Sing HIS praise in the assembly of godly people. Psalm 149:1.

 "I Believe God" 2023, Jekalyn Carr.



Lyrics
I love an epic declaration song!
I believe God Heals
I believe God makes a way
I believe God restores
I believe God opens doors
I believe He's the God of peace
I believe He’s my everything
Oh, oh, oh
I believe God
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
Ohhhhh
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh
I believe God hears
I believe God answers prayers
I bеlieve God sees
I beliеve He'll speak for me
Oh, I believe He'll fight for us
Oh, I believe He won’t forsake us
Ohhhh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
Aww yeah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweeter Than the Honey in the Honeycomb

Here is Your Mother

Only The Powerful