Are You a Consumer or Contributor?

Chilling (literally) on Son-Day!

The Beauty, Cutie, and Corn Pone



Are You a Consumer or Contributor?

Now I am about to go on a rant here about consumers and contributors.  This morning, I had breakfast with my bride, my sister Roma and her groom David. We talked about a variety things including a conversation I had with a parent yesterday who was giving me valuable advice on how to coach in the middle of the game while I was passing on plays to the kids.  

The thing is, my team was up 27-0,  and we're currently 5-1 on the season.  I looked him and stated, "Please not now. Where were you six weeks when I asked for coaches and no one came forward?"  

The response, "I have things I have to do".  Not, "I am working".  He went on to say, "I can come once every two weeks to help".  I told him, "Seriously, kids need consistent and stable support, much like we do".  He walked away.

It's frustrating to have people who are quick to criticize or offer suggestions, but unwilling to step up and contribute when the situation calls for it. 

Today, after a game we won 24-0, two different parents came to me to complain about their son's playing time and about how the games could be coached differently to accommodate their sons.  

Never at a loss for words, I told the parents their sons would've played more had they been at practice. Coming to one practice during the week at this level will not cut it.

When I ask the players why they could not make practice.  The answer 95% of the time is my mother did not want to bring me.  Notice, not pops.  So, there multiple challenges here.

If you know me, when I counsel, I am hard on husbands and fathers. I always hold the them responsible.  No excuses.  Be accountable to your child.  Much lies on their shoulders.  They must stand up and deliver.

The price of parenting is of course being a good provider.  But there is so much more.  The price includes time, teaching, and emotional support.  Many parents abdicate this role and place it on the schools, community providers, and programs like mine.  This has become a poor standard practice and expectation that is making spoiled brats out of parents.  When things don't go their way, they unleash their fury on those who are trying to help.

Parenting requires patience, sacrifice and a long-term commitment. It's understandable that many struggle with meeting these high expectations, especially when facing challenges. Still it is unexuseable to neglect your responsibilities.

Regarding those complaining parents who connected with me today.  I loved them back by getting them to reflect on what is missing in their complaint.  It is one word . . .YOU!

The two parents I spoke with today acknowledged their parental deficiencies.  That is a start to a win.  Quit deflecting and start owning, and pay the price of parenting.

Psalm 127:3 

Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.  

Ephesians 6:4

Nature your children in the discipline and instruction of the LORD

Proverbs 22:6

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when is old will not depart from them.


Song of the Week - Hallelujah! Sing a New Song to GOD. Sing HIS praise in the assembly of godly people. Psalm 149:1.

"Honeycomb", 2024, Madison Ryann Ward

After ranting like I did above I needed something sweet in my heart.  Honey is always good for the soul.

[Chorus]
Your words to my soul
Sweet like honeycomb
Bringing me up high from low
Healing in my bones
With every syllable
Fill me 'til my heart is full

[Verse 1]
Careful with my tongue I be flowing from, yeah
Life is what we want when it's said and done, yeah
Death is something unkind, so why would I wanna give it time?
See the flowers bloom, watch the fruit from trees
That's the kind of the thing that happens when he speaks to me
Got me saying "hello, well, well"
Calling up to Heaven myself (Hello, hello)
Thе conversation's free (Hello, hello)
But this talk ain't chеap

[Chorus]
Your words to my soul
Sweet like honeycomb
Bringing me up high from low
Healing in my bones
With every syllable
Fill me 'til my heart is full (Yeah, yeah)

[Verse 2]
K-L-M-N-Overflow
Your letters wash me head to toe
Finding my heart and keeping my mind from sinking down below
Your ABC's my remedy
With every word that's meant for me
Writing my songs, singing the sweetest melody

[Chorus]
Your words to my soul (My soul)
Sweet like honeycomb (Honeycomb)
Bringing me up high from low (Low)
Healing in my bones (My bones)
With every syllable (Yeah)
Fill me 'til my heart is full
Your words to my soul (To my soul, yeah)
Sweet like honeycomb (Honeycomb)
Bringing me up high from low (Up high from low)
Healing in my bones
With every syllable
Fill me 'til my heart is full

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweeter Than the Honey in the Honeycomb

Here is Your Mother

Only The Powerful