Don't Cast Me Away

 Happy Son-Day on an 82 Degree Sabbath

On the Prowl for "The W Ring"


Don't Cast Me Away

I apologize for missing last week.  It is the height of the football season and I've been super busy with flag football for kids in kindergarten through 8th grade, team photography for the high school, and working a full-time job. It's been hectic!

I would be remised if never took a moment to note a quiet and divine directive that requires us to care for our wonderfully experienced loved ones in life. I am referring to our seniors, widows, and widowers.  

This population is often discounted and ignored by the younger generations.  For instance, advertisers and businesses focus on the more lucrative and coveted younger demographic (age 18-34).  When this happens, the Lord is not pleased.

Psalm 71:9
Do not cast me away when I am old; do not forsake me when my strength is gone.

Those who do cater to seniors seem to be predatory.  Their approach is to exploit them of their last nickel.  

Here is the directive from the Word . . .

1 Timothy 5:3-5 and 8

Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.  

The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help.   Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

By the way, here is the first divine directive with a promise.

Exodus 20:
“Honor your father and mother. Then you will live a long, full life in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
 
Leviticus 19:32
"Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord."

I think we are all mindful of the financial and physical needs of seniors.  Emotional well-being is just as critical. As people age, they can become increasingly disconnected, facing the loss of spouses, friends, and independence. Companionship brings happiness and vitality to this age group. 

Conversely, isolation can lead to a range of mental health issues, including depression and anxiety. It can diminish their willingness to engage in daily activities and even impact physical health.

Now the question.  What is required of me to bring about emotional well-being?

In practical terms do this:

  • Conduct regular interactions. This can be  in-person, FaceTime, Zoom, or phone call.  Do this even if the interaction is short.  Nothing is unacceptable. Something is considerably better than nothing.
  • Remember the movie, "Soul Food"? The social foundation of the movie was the weekly supper attended by all the family members. There are times when you must spend extended time with your loved one.  Sharing a meal, playing a game, or watching a movie together are few examples.
  • Gently encourage them to interact.  Keep in mind connecting with others can be draining.  It requires some physical and mental energy.  By providing a supportive, judgment-free encouragement we can help our loved ones muster up the motivation to engage. 
Last word on the impact of companionship.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble.

Likewise, two people lying close together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone?  

A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.

 Song of the Week - Hallelujah! Sing a New Song to GOD. Sing HIS praise in the assembly of godly people. Psalm 149:1.

Nobody But Jesus" 2024, Nobody But Jesus (feat. Genavieve Linkowski & Nick Day), Maverick City Music & Song House

A bright, testimonial song you can sing today and for the next few days.



Lyrics

[Verse 1]
Before I ever knew His name
I was dead, walking my way
Stuck in all my sin and shame
I was destined for the grave

[Pre-Chorus]
Woah
If you’ve been searching
And if you’ve been hurting
Call out His Name

[Chorus]
Nobody but Jesus
I’ve tried other names
Nothing was the same
The only one I claim is
Jesus
Saved by His grace
He died in my place
There’s no other name but
Jesus
He's still healing minds
Rescuing the blind
He’s always on time
Jеsus
And I’m just so thankful for
[Verse 2]
I was walking down a narrow road
I can feel the fight in my soul
But I don’t have to fight it alone
'Causе Jesus made my heart His home

[Pre-Chorus]
Woah
If you’ve been searching
And if you’ve been hurting
Then call out His name

[Chorus]
Nobody but Jesus
I’ve tried other names
Nothing was the same
The only one I claim is
Jesus
Saved by His grace
He died in my place
There’s no other name but
Jesus
He's still healing minds
Rescuing the blind
He’s always on time
Jesus
And I’m just so thankful for

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweeter Than the Honey in the Honeycomb

Here is Your Mother

Only The Powerful